Sunday 10 June 2012

Some Men at Arms (at last)

Painting progress has been pretty slow over the last month or so - largely down to the fact that I hate painting full plate harness and also horses! So the new Perry stuff is sort of my idea of a nightmare, even though it is stunning. I've managed to get four men at arms done so far (7 more to do : /).



As you can see I've used a couple of heads from the WOTR and Mercenaries box, as I'm not overly keen on a few of the heads you get in the box. I'm going for quite a colourful look on these, multicoloured lances and bright barding etc. I quite like the chap at the end with the red and blue lance and gothic armour, he reminds me a bit of this Albrecht Durer drawing:



I've also done Rene's standard bearer, his banner was relatively simple to put together; I drew it up on Word and copied the birds in from an image on the web then painted it. Quite happy with the result.



Here's the Duke himself with his standard bearer. I've also had a little play around with some of the spare arms etc that come in the box. The seperate hands mean you can make some simple but effective conversions.

I put this chap together to lead my Nachut (who are a very long way off at the moment). I envisage them to be a fairly standard marching pike unit, yet to reach the action. As a result using one of the spare MAA arms I made this pose; quite like it. He looks as though he's fairly relaxed, but also fairly arrogant and skilled with that sword and buckler.

Well back to the grindstone - I'll try and get these last men at arms sorted.

5 comments:

  1. Looking great love the metal work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job,and it doesn't show at all that it was a labour of hate!

    Try blackened or blued armour as a variation perhaps - or would that be even worse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking MaA's, they do take a bit of effort to do well, but they are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers chaps - actually that could be an interesting idea as far as blued or blackened armour goes! Hadn't considered it. I'm on the look out for information on Lorrainer knights of the period and their heraldry, if anyone can point me in the right direction? I fancy painting the surcoated models as individual knights rather than just retainers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice figures; well worth the effort.
    I like the composition of the captain carrying his sword too.
    Simon.

    ReplyDelete